Essential Calculus-based Physics Study Guide Workbook: Waves, Fluids, Sound, Heat, and Light (Paperback)
Ships from Warehouse
LEVEL This book covers waves, fluids, sound, heat, and light from physics with calculus at the university level. (If instead you're looking for a trig-based physics book, search for ISBN 1941691188.) Note that the calculus-based edition includes all of material from the trig-based book, plus coverage of the calculus-based material. In this volume, the calculus is mostly limited to thermal physics.
DESCRIPTION This combination of physics study guide and workbook focuses on essential problem-solving skills and strategies:
- Fully solved examples with explanations show you step-by-step how to solve standard university physics problems.
- Handy charts tabulate the symbols, what they mean, and their SI units.
- Problem-solving strategies are broken down into steps and illustrated with examples.
- Answers, hints, intermediate answers, and explanations are provided for every practice exercise.
- Terms and concepts which are essential to solving physics problems are defined and explained.
AUTHOR The author, Dr. Chris McMullen, has over 20 years of experience teaching university physics in California, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Louisiana (and has also taught physics to gifted high school students). Dr. McMullen currently teaches physics at Northwestern State University of Louisiana. He has also published a half-dozen papers on the collider phenomenology of superstring-inspired large extra dimensions. Chris McMullen earned his Ph.D. in particle physics from Oklahoma State University (and his M.S. in physics from California State University, Northridge).
Dr. McMullen is well-known for:
- engaging physics students in challenging ideas through creativity
- breaking difficult problems down into manageable steps
- providing clear and convincing explanations to subtle issues
- his mastery of physics and strong background in mathematics
- helping students become more fluent in practical math skills
USES This study guide workbook can be used to:
- learn how to solve fundamental problems in physics with calculus
- find fully-solved examples of standard physics problems
- develop fluency in physics via practice exercises that include answers, hints, and explanations
- quickly find the most essential physics terms, concepts, and formulas
- prepare for the AP physics exam
- review for standardized exams, such as AP Physics or the fundamentals of the GRE.