Earth Then and Now: Amazing Images of Our Changing World (Paperback)
300 stunning before-and-after photographs that show the staggering transformation of our world.
Earth Then and Now records the dramatic way our planet has changed over the past century. On one page is a specific part of the world as it was 10, 50 or even 100 years ago. On the facing page is the same place as it looks today. Each stark visual comparison tells a compelling story a melting glacier, an expanding desert, an encroaching cityscape, a natural disaster.
Earth Then and Now reminds us that nothing is without a cost. Highly topical and thought provoking chapters include:
- Environmental change Bearing witness to the effects of global warming
- Industrialization Revealing the hidden costs of "progress"
- Urbanization Showing the effects of our spreading cities
- Natural disasters Reminding us of the power of nature
- War Using comparisons to show the impact of armed conflict
- Travel and tourism Illustrating the predatory nature of development.
Concise captions explain the facts and then allow the reader to draw personal conclusions. Anyone concerned about the environment will enjoy and appreciate Earth Then and Now.
About the Author
Fred Pearce has reported on scientific, environmental and developmental issues from 64 countries. He is environment consultant of New Scientist magazine and a regular contributor to the Boston Globe and the London Independent. He is the author of The Last Generation. Zac Goldsmith is the editor and director of The Ecologist, a leading environmental issues magazine.