Docker: Up & Running: Shipping Reliable Containers in Production (Paperback)
Docker is rapidly changing the way organizations deploy software at scale. However, understanding how Linux containers fit into your workflow--and getting the integration details right--is not a trivial task. With the updated edition of this practical guide, you'll learn how to use Docker to package your applications with all of their dependencies and then test, ship, scale, and support your containers in production.
This edition includes significant updates to the examples and explanations that reflect the substantial changes that have occurred over the past couple of years. Sean Kane and Karl Matthias have added a complete chapter on Docker Compose, deeper coverage of Docker Swarm mode, introductions to both Kubernetes and AWS Fargate, examples on how to optimize your Docker images, and much more.
- Learn how Docker simplifies dependency management and deployment workflow for your applications
- Start working with Docker images, containers, and command line tools
- Use practical techniques to deploy and test Docker containers in production
- Debug containers by understanding their composition and internal processes
- Deploy production containers at scale inside your data center or cloud environment
- Explore advanced Docker topics, including deployment tools, networking, orchestration, security, and configuration
About the Author
Sean Kane is a Principal Production Operations engineer at SuperOrbital, which specializes in consulting and training for Kubernetes and modern devops processes. He has had a long career in production operations, with many diverse roles across a broad range of industries. Sean is the lead inventor on a container related patent and spends a lot of his spare time writing, teaching, and speaking about technology. He is an avid traveler, hiker, and camper and lives in the US Pacific Northwest with his wife, children, and dogs.Karl Matthias is a Principal Systems Engineer with Nitro Software. He has worked as a developer, systems administrator, and network engineer for everything from startups to Fortune 500 companies. After a few years at startups in Germany and the UK followed by a stint at home in Portland, Oregon, he and his family recently landed in Dublin, Ireland. When not devoting his time to things digital, he can be found herding his two daughters, shooting film with vintage cameras, or riding one of his bicycles.